“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Sunday, May 5, 2013

This Girl (Slammed #3) - Colleen Hoover

Layken and Will’s love has managed to withstand the toughest of circumstances and the young lovers, now married, are beginning to feel safe and secure in their union. As much as Layken relishes their new life together, she finds herself wanting to know everything there is to know about her husband, even though Will makes it clear he prefers to keep the painful memories of the past where they belong. Still, he can’t resist his wife’s pleas and so he begins to untangle his side of the story, revealing for the first time his most intimate feelings and thoughts, retelling both the good and bad moments, and sharing a few shocking confessions of his own from the time when they first met.

In This Girl, Will tells the story of their complicated relationship from hispoint of view. Their future rests on how well they deal with the past in this final installment of the beloved Slammed series.


There are some people in this world, that if they never figured out their piece of the puzzle - the world would certainly be lacking... If Michael Jordan had never picked up a basketball, if Carrie Underwood had stayed on her farm and never tried out for American Idol. If Colleen Hoover had never put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard - whatever her method), I believe this world would be lacking.

This Girl...this story...butterflying amazing! I really enjoyed Slammed when I read it, and Point of Retreat has been sitting on my favorites shelf on my Kindle since I read it, but this book, by far, best of the series. It wouldn't have worked without the first two stories being told, but for me seeing it told from Will's POV just made me fall more in love with Will Cooper. 

This story picks up where PoR leaves us off and what I loved was that she let us be a part of that trip. It's not simply just Slammed re-told through Will's eyes. It's the best parts of Slammed told as memories while we are spending part of the honeymoon with our favorite couple. The mix of the past and present and then the small glimpse into the future, to me, was the perfect equation for this book.

I laughed, my heart hurt, I fell in love with Will and rooted for Will and Lake and eventually I even cried. I honestly don't want to share any of my favorite quotes because hearing this from Will is just better than reading parts of him separately. 

Colleen Hoover is beautifully brilliant, amazingly talented and seriously brave. My suck is that this series is over because I love these characters so much and my sweet is that Colleen Hoover shared these characters with us and gave us a piece of herself that will change everyone who lets it.


No comments:

Post a Comment