“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Girl with Guitar (Kylie Ryans #1) - Caisey Quinn


After Kylie’s dad dies in a freak accident, he leaves her with nothing other than her crazy stepmother, Darla, and the ability to play guitar. When Darla kicks Kylie out and she loses her job all in the same day, she hops a bus to Nashville determined to make her late father’s dreams come true. Waitressing and saving her pennies to record a demo, her big break comes when she’s asked to join a tour going down the tubes with once platinum album-selling country music superstar Trace Corbin. But touring with Trace is hardly a dream come true since he’s pretty much drinking his career down the drain. If Kylie can’t pull Trace out of his rut, he’ll pull her and her dreams down with him.  

My heart went out to Kylie right in the first paragraph I read.  Whispered promises to a gravesite…the only person you’ve ever been able to trust and depend on is gone…if you can related, Caisey will tear your heart out page one.  From that moment, I was invested in the success and failure of Kylie Ryans, and hoping for the former. “I’m going to Nashville like we talked about.  Even though no one else was around, she lowered her voice to a whisper,  I’m going to make you proud, I promise.”  

She takes off to Nashville to try to pursue her dreams, and in doing so leaves behind the only friend she has left.  But, as Jason Alden will tell you in his music, in Nashville, “it’s a crazy town full of neon dreams, everybody plays and everybody sings” – so you have to be that one-in-a-million and/or be in the right place at the right time, singing the right song.   

The country music fan in me loved this.  I just went to Nashville for the first time and I felt like I was back there.  Walking the area where you can hear live music coming out of every bar.  I loved the rolling soundtrack of my favorite songs that played in my head while I thought about these characters.  I don’t know why, but right from the beginning I pictured Luke Bryan (must have been the tight jeans comment) and that’s what I pictured Trace to sound like, except he was always singing Lee Brice’s Hard to Love (which Trace does cover in this book!).  I want to break out my boots and sing and dance along! 

I liked Kylie, she was willing to work hard, do whatever it took to support herself.  She also seemed like the type of character you would want to be friends with.  I, of course liked that she had a snarky side to her as well.  I also felt for her being shoved into the spot light without being prepared for it.   

Kylie and Trace’s back and forth hate/tolerate relationship kept me entertained, and reading this whole book in one sitting.   Although, I can’t say I’d hate being stuck on a tour bus with him for a little while! I loved Trace’s road family and his sisters.  His sisters particularly, added another dimension into Trace that I was happy to get to know.  It was like he had two sides, and I wanted to slap one and hug the other. 

It’s a little bad boy Tim McGraw meets Country Cutie Faith Hill (back in the day)[or Vince Gill and Amy Grant – take your pick], when everyone warns her to stay away…there is just something about him that draws her in.  “Kylie was standing in the path of something wild and dangerous and a hell of a lot more powerful than her.”  But not every bad boy is good on the inside and Trace definitely has his fair share of problems (mostly of the alcoholic and female variety)…we’ll have to wait through the series to see how this one goes!  Caisey, you have won yourself a new fan!


No comments:

Post a Comment