“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Friday, July 19, 2013

Inescapable - Amy A. Bartol


My name is Evie Claremont and this was to be the making of me–my freshman year of college. I’d been hoping that once I’d arrived on Crestwood’s campus, the nightmare that I’ve been having would go away. It hasn’t.
I may be an inexperienced seventeen-year-old, but I’m grounded…sane. I look for rational explanations to even the strangest circumstances. Since meeting sophomore Reed Wellington, however, nothing makes any sense. Whenever he’s near, I feel an attraction to him–a magnetic kind of force pulling me towards him. I know what you’re thinking…that sounds fairly awesome. Yeah, it would be…if he liked me, but Reed acts as if I’m the worst thing that has ever happened to Crestwood…or him. But get this, for some reason every time I turn around he’s there, barging into my life.
What is the secret that he’s keeping from me? I’m hoping that it’s anything but what I suspect: that he’s not exactly normal…and neither am I. So, maybe Crestwood won’t be the making of me, but it could be the breaking of me. I’ve been left to wonder if the dark future my dream is foretelling is…inescapable.
 

Do you know the plan a fighter has when he jabs repeatedly with his left hand so you are paying attention to it and then out of nowhere he lands a massive punch with his right hand that the guy never saw coming because he was too focused on the left hand? …. That, dear readers, is Amy Bartol and Inescapable! 

Paranormal stories are tough.  People either love them, or they don’t.  And then even the people that love them, don’t love all of them.  I’ve been fortunate enough to read some pretty great PNR series, and this is definitely one I’d add to the recommendation list for people who do enjoy PNR!  

Evie Claremont is a freshman a Crestwood.  She’s young and a bit naïve.  She’s had only one Uncle as her whole family all of her life since her mom died during childbirth and her dad has always been MIA.  Going away to school is scary and exciting all at once.  Being an academic scholarship student, you would think she tends to lean toward the boring and predictable but she’s actually funny and I enjoyed living in her head, “If I manage to get lost here, then I don’t’ deserve the academic scholarship they gave me.” This story works best because it’s told in the first person.  

There are a couple swoon-worthy boys (though, I think the general consensus is that Reed is the only swoon-worthy one).  Reed Wellington is different, he appears dark and dangerous at first and you’re just not sure about him.  Russell on the other hand, is the nice guy.  He’s a big, athletic, teddy bear that I certainly wouldn’t mind cuddling with! Evie has a pull to both boys and to be honest, by the end, I did too.  I really was #teamrussell for most of the book, but I can see why the girls are fawning for Reed as well.  Polygamy anyone? 

While the battle for Evie’s heart is going on, we get to meet some friends that Evie makes… Alfred, who she nicknames Freddie, is what she refers to as her twin.  He seems to get her and quickly becomes a friend.  Buns and Brownie are two girls who live in Evie’s dorm that bring out the fun, playful side of Evie.  They are the girlfriends that you get into moderate trouble with, but will also hold your hand when you are nursing a broken heart.   

“If I could save a moment of time, this would definitely be one.  I never seem to get enough time with you.” This is only the first book in a five book series and I can’t wait to read more.  For the first time I think, I really don’t know which guy I want to her to be with in book 5…I guess I’ll just have to keep reading.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment