“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Losing It - Cora Carmack

Virginity.
Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible—a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half a brain would ever believe.
And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theater professor.
She'd left him naked in her bed about eight hours earlier. . . .

Okay, I'll be honest...I'm kind of a dummy.  I picked up this book because Cora Carmack is going to be at an author signing in NYC and I thought, since I'm going to have the opportunity to meet her, I should probably read her book.  I didn't know anything about it, I just picked it up and started at page one.  The title of the book should have made me a little less clueless.

I liked Bliss...I liked her name, her friends, her situation and even the way she talked about her mom...for the most part I felt like I could relate to her.  "Somewhere between Saved by the Bell and Gossip Girl, it became unheard of for a girl to graduate college with her V-card still in hand." I felt like from page one, I could identify with her struggles, things have changed a lot since our parents were in college.

So while her best friend sets out on a mission to get her laid before she graduates, Bliss is still torn with whether or not this is how she wants it to go down.  Can she really just give it up to a one night stand after all this time?

And of course with any good story, a one night stand (or a one night encounter) is never as simple as just that, "Whoever said one-night stands were supposed to be simple with no strings attached had clearly never met the disaster that was me."

The not so simple, but delightfully delicious Garrick enters the picture *and swoon* and it's as complicated as it can be.  He seems so perfect for Bliss...their back and forth banter is there from the first moment and only continues to get better as the attraction increases (even though it's complicated).

But with everything being the way it is in life, it doesn't always work out the way we want it to.  "My mother had told me once when I was little and had a friendship fall apart that some relationships just end.  Like a star, the burn bright and brilliant, and then nothing in particular goes wrong, the juts reach their end.  They burn out."  

This story was an unexpected good read.  It was cute and just the right amount of angst to keep you interested but not so much that you'll be twisted up in knots.  I do plan to read her next book, Faking It.  I hope the cuteness continues.



No comments:

Post a Comment