“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Indebted (The Premonition Series #3) - Amy A. Bartol

I hang my head in sorrow for just a moment when I know I am truly alone. I feel like I’m going to my execution, just as he had said. Then I move forward again. I hop a fence of fieldstone and cross a field dotted with Queen Anne’s lace. Goose bumps rise on my arms as I pass the cluster of windmills that I have seen in a dream. The scent is sweet in the field though, not the scent of heat, like it had been when it was forced upon me in visions. I gaze down the hill, beyond the small, whitewashed house that I knew would be there. The church looms dark and grim with its rough-hewn, timber façade, capped by tall, oblong spires reaching to the sky. Black, ominous clouds have collected above the roofline, as if Heaven is showing me the way. 

80% of this book was 4.5 – 5 star material for me.  It was a little slow going in the beginning but once it picked up, I had trouble putting it down.  Even when I had to put it down for those pesky things like going to work, making dinner, etc., I was still thinking about it.  So much so, that even my thoughts started to have a brogue.  Thank goodness my friends are patient with me as a I was throwing out “moin” “dem” and “da fellas” here and there.   

Once the book picked up, it was action packed and I loved it.  While the first book was mostly about Evie and her relationships, each book since has picked up more on the paranormal aspects of the story and with that more twist and turns that I still didn’t see coming.  You’d think by now I’d be better at it, but I’m always too focused on Russell and Reed…and I’ll admit it, even Brennus! That undead faerie is working his way into my heart too.  Damn you Amy Bartol!!! 

I was a bit frustrated by Evie in this book.  Her need to protect Reed and Russell causes her to be irrational and make what could be considered bad decisions.  She wants Reed to treat her like an equal, but she doesn’t communicate with him either.  I just wanted to shake her and yell at her, or really I wanted Zee to do it because I think he wanted to as well.   

On the flip side, this does help her “relationship” with Brennus, because he does listen to her and include her and… OH mo Dhia mo chroi bocht – Nil a fhios agam ce mhead nios mo is feidir liom a ghlacadh (I don’t know if that translates directly, and I know it’s missing accent marks, but it seemed more appropriate in Irish). 

The one thing I do love about Evie in this book, is that she is getting stronger and learning to use more of her gifts to protect her and her families.  (Yup! I said families – ugh!) I also LOVE that Russell is getting stronger too, still swooning even though I love Reed too, there is just something about Russell!  

Okay, then there is the thing that I really didn’t like…and that was the ending…and that’s mostly because there wasn’t really one! The story just kind of stopped.  Thank God I didn’t have to wait for book 4 because it is already out – but I can’t imagine if I was reading this at the time it was just released. I think I would have flipped, I feel for those that were in that situation.  I had to check twice to make sure I wasn’t missing pages on my Kindle.  Personally, I think there were places before it in the story that would have made for a better place to stop.  Luckily, the rest of the book more than makes up for it AND book 4 is already out so I have already started reading it.   

“I can feel ye in my bones.  I crave the innocence in ye; even as I want ta take it from ye, so dat I can teach ye whah lies beyond dat innocence.  I love ye, mo chroi,” he whispers, “I will love ye forever.”


The obsession continues…


No comments:

Post a Comment