“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Sunday, October 28, 2012

What the Heart Needs (Soulmate Series #2) - Kelli McCracken


Bound by destiny, can their love survive those that would tear them apart?
Dylan thought he had it all after Heaven agreed to marry him. But the secrets surrounding them continue to build. His best friend's keeping something from him. As are his parents. And someone wants Heaven dead. Can he protect his soulmate and solve the mystery before it's too late?

The best way I can describe this book is to compare it to a roller coaster....it starts off slow (click, click, click) building anticipation giving you just enough to keep you wanting more, turning each page (click, click click)...and just when you think you've figured it out (click, click, click), you've reached the top and the bottom falls out from under you and you're free falling into what you had no idea was headed your way. Then it starts all over again (click, click, click) building you up to another apex, only to have your stomach drop down again (WEEEEEEEEE!!!!). Now, I myself am not a fan of real roller coasters, but what I can tell you is that I will get on the Kelli McCracken roller coaster EVERY freakin' time!!!!

So much happens in this book you can't really prepare yourself for everything. You have to give into the story, let it lead you on the journey...in the end, you will not regret it.

The build up of what might come had me unable to put my kindle down. I took it in with me to blow dry my hair, I took it to my step-daughter's soccer game and read during warm ups and half time, I literally could not stop reading because I had to know what was going to happen. Was Nate McBride going to hurt Heaven? Would Layne break them up? Would Faith break them up? What was going on with Faith anyway? Would Dylan & Heaven make it to the alter...those were the just questions I started with and my list kept on growing as the reading continued. Let's just say, the things I said out loud (yup, I talk out loud while I read) were “Oh My God,” “He did not just do that!” “She did not just do that” “You have GOT to be kidding me!” “I freakin' knew it!!!” and “AHHHHH!!!!!”

“I know Dylan is special, he replied” - well guess what, I knew it too. I truly can't get enough of Dylan McBride...I mean he's a romantic rock star that goes against the stereotypes and wants to love Heaven forever...what's not to love!?! But this time (unlike the first book), I fell a little in love with Layne too. I can understand now why there are many Team Layne girls, a team which I think even Heaven would find herself cheering on because after book two, how could you not love Layne?

This book was sexy, dangerous and consuming. It was frustrating, exciting and lovable. Where the first book was a love story that hinted at a supernatural connection, this book brought in a lot more of the who and what of the paranormal part of the story. I loved that it gave us some answers and still teased us with what could come. It left me wanting more, and that is never a bad thing to end a book with.

I can't even imagine what Kelli has in store for us next, but what I can tell you is that I will definitely be getting on the ride!

“The more we give in to what the heart wants, the more we get what the heart needs...” truer words were never spoken (or written as it were), you can't love with your head, you have to love with your heart...no matter where it leads you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment