“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Friday, October 5, 2012

Bouquet Toss - Melissa Brown

Ever since Daphne Harper graduated from college, all of her friends have fallen in love, become engaged and walked down the aisle. Be it a blessing or a curse, Daphne (a hopeless romantic and perpetual single girl) catches the bouquet at every single wedding she attends. 

Daphne’s love life is a mess. Her first love, Mayson, haunts her heart and keeps her from pursuing happiness with any man who comes along. As she struggles to move on from the one who got away, Daphne wonders if she will ever break her curse and find her happily ever after.


The premise of this story is sort of a "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" mixed in with a "one that got away" story.  Of course she is not a bridesmaid in every wedding she attends and catches the bouquet, but it's similar enough.  

Seemingly it's her "one that got away" college boyfriend who broke her heart by breaking up with her.  In five years, she hadn't really let herself be open enough to meet someone new, comparing everyone to Mayson.  Her best friend Elise and her cousin and friend Morgan both think it's time for her to move and constantly try to set her up or get her out there with online dating.  

Just as she's starting to move on and go on some dates (although not stellar dates), Mayson reappears in her life and she's back to square one.  But is Mayson still the same guy he's always been, the guy that broke her heart (and according to her friends probably will again) or was it meant to be this time? 

I really liked the idea of this story.  I thought the dates she was set up on were great, and realistic.  I had a strange desire to watch the muppets when I was done with this book.  

I thought at times the story was, sometimes serious...but what I had trouble with was connecting to the characters.  I liked Daphne, Elise and Morgan.  I even liked Morgan's boyfriend Matt and their friend Evan (I wondered if Evan was the "one" for a while), but I didn't feel as connected to them as I have some other characters in some of my favorite books.  

I never really truly understand the draw to Mayson because I just didn't feel connected to him.  

I liked this story, I just didn't fall head over heels for it.  I had to give it three stars because compared to my four and five star books, I just didn't think it was as good.  I'm still glad I read it.  

I would give her five stars for the cover though.  I absolutely love it.  









No comments:

Post a Comment