“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Remember When (Remember Trilogy #1) - T. Torrest

Years before Trip Wiley could be seen on movie screens all over the world, he could be seen sitting in the desk behind me in my high school English class.

This was back in 1990, and I cite the year only to avoid dumbfounding you when references to big hair or stretch pants are mentioned. Although, come to think of it, I am from New Jersey, which may serve as explanation enough. We were teenagers then, way back in a time before anyone could even dream he’d turn into the Hollywood commodity that he is today.

In case you live under a rock and don't know who Trip Wiley is, just know that these days, he’s the actor found at the top of every casting director’s wish list. He’s incredibly talented and insanely gorgeous, the combination of which has made him very rich, very famous and very desirable.

And not just to casting directors, either.

I can’t confirm any of the gossip from his early years out in Tinseltown, but based on what I knew of his life before he was famous, I can tell you that the idea of Girls-Throwing-Themselves-At-Trip is not a new concept.

I should know. I was one of them.

And my life hasn’t been the same since.

**Remember When is the first book in an NA romantic comedy trilogy, but there is NO CLIFFHANGER. It is intended for mature teen readers and immature adult ones due to some high school sex scenes, underage drinking, questionable language and 1980s flashbacks.**


*Ducking and hiding from all my friends who LOVED this story*

Okay so there were some things I absolutely did love about Remember When by T. Torrest. I loved the late 80's early 90's references. While Layla and Trip were a few years older than I was, I definitely remembered a lot of the things they talked about...and the fact that they grew up in North Jersey - just a hop, skip, jump and a couple inches of big hair away from my hometown in New York made a lot of it very relevant to me. 

I mostly loved reading this story from Layla's POV. The things she went through as a high school girl, while I couldn't necessarily relate to all of them, I felt like I could find my inner high school girl in most of it. 

Every high school has it's Trip...not necessarily the hot guy turned Hollywood super star, but that unattainable hot guy that you just drool after. I too (with friends), would peek out the window at the hot guy a couple years old than us when he was mowing the lawn across the street on Saturday mornings...so when she would creepy stalk Trip running through her neighborhood - I actually laughed along picture us all sitting at the window literally watching grass get cut. 

Trip was a typically high hot boy. He was lovable from Layla's POV and I couldn't wait to see how it would all play out.

There were times (*ducks now*) that I did feel parts of the story were drawn out and I found myself skimming through to get to the next important plot point. I wanted the next pieces of witty banter, or the next trip down my own memory lane - but sometimes the story itself wasn't enough to hold my attention. Before you chop my head off (or my fingers for typing it), I am well aware that I am in a minority here. 

However, I would say the humor, the memories, the fun of it was totally worth the read. I would totally recommend it to these girls that grew up in the 80's and graduated high school in the 90's that will remember all the references Torrest reminds us of. To my Jersey girls...this one is definitely for you.

**Copy provided by Net Galley**

***Side note - when reading reviews for the next book I read the spoiler for not just book 2 but book 3 as well.  I recommend if you are going to read this book, and plan to read them all - stay away from reviews until you are done with all three books.**



No comments:

Post a Comment