“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Just For Now (Sea Breeze #4) - Abbi Glines

The day Preston Drake figured out that wealthy women paid well for a set of tight abs and a pretty face his life turned around.

The run down rat-infested trailer he had shared with his alcoholic mother and three younger siblings was now only a place he visited to pay the bills and stock the pantry with food. 

He no longer worried about his family starving or living without electricity. The money he made entertaining rich older women more than covered his family’s needs and his own. He had it all figured out. Except…

There was this girl.

She was as innocent as he was tainted.

Amanda Hardy wished her knees didn’t get weak when Preston walked into a room. She hated the fact her heart raced when he flashed his smile in her direction. He had a different girl in his bed every night. He was the kind of boy a smart girl ran from. So, why was she coming up with ways to get close to him? Even when it was obvious he wanted to keep her at a distance.

Maybe her heart knew something the world didn’t. Maybe Preston Drake was more than just a pretty face.


Preston Drake...you are so not the guy I thought you were in the first book you appeared in...in more ways than one.  If you were just entertaining women for your own fun, I don't know that I would have understood it, but since you were doing it to make money to take care of your two little brothers and your little sister because your mom was an alcoholic who didn't care about anything except her next drink or high...my heart has opened up and welcomed you in.  It doesn't hurt that I totally fell in love with your little brothers and your little sister Daisy.  She is just too cute for words.  I honestly think the kids might have sold me on this story.  

I loved the chemistry between Preston & Manda.  It definitely wasn't a stretch to see a little sister crush on her older brother's best friend, but to see the push and pull and the story line develop, I thought Abbi Glines did a great job writing it...from the fantasizing each of them did individually to the reality of their hook ups, it all worked so well.  I was torn between wanting Amanda to never find out what Preston had going on and wanting him to tell her so he wasn't lying and they could find away to get him out of it but still be able to take care of his family.  I was also terrified for them if Marcus were to find out anything/everything.  I think you can see they've grown up since the first book in this series, but I think that's appropriate since Amanda and Sadie were in high school when it started and they are starting college now.  


The other thing I loved about this story, it brought everyone back.  Even though for the most part it was small visits, I loved that we got a glimpse into what was going on with everyone Jax & Sadie and where they are and what they're doing, Marcus & Low (who have the biggest part of the three couples since Amanda is his sister, Preston is his best friend and he and Low are planning a wedding) and even Cage & Eva make a few brief appearances.  I can't believe we are only going to get one more book in this series to wrap everything up.  I don't know which couple she is going to choose to end it with...but my vote would be all of them!! I feel like we need more Jax & Sadie because they are together now in California and older and more grown up and they need more steaminess.  But I am also in need for more Cage & Eva, and now I really think I need more Preston & Amanda too...


So if I loved it so much and want more, what keeps it from getting that extra .5 star? I just  felt like it ended too abruptly.  After all the ups and downs and twists and turns, I think I needed it to see through a little bit  more before the Preston & Manda story ended.  Hopefully we'll get a little bit more from them in the final (sad) book when it comes out.  


I'm not sure I'll ever be truly ready to see this series end...



No comments:

Post a Comment