“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Sunday, November 4, 2012

That Boy - Jillian Dodd

That Boy is a contemporary romance about falling in love with the boys next door.

You know, being friends with two cute boys does have its benefits. 

There's Danny. Danny is a golden boy in every way. He has dreamy blue eyes and blonde hair that always looks perfect, even when it’s windblown or been stuck under a football helmet. He’s the boy every girl crushes on. The boy I get into trouble with, the boy I fight with, the hot quarterback no girl can resist, not even me. Being with Danny is like being on an adventure. He has a bright, contagious smile and abs to die for. He’s pretty much irresistible.

Equally crush worthy is Phillip. Adorable, sweet Phillip, who I have known since birth.  Phillip has dark hair, a perfect smile, brown eyes, and the sexiest voice I have ever heard. He’s the boy I talk to every night before I go to sleep. The boy who rescues me, the boy who can read my mind, the boy who is always there for me, the boy who tries to keep me out of trouble, the boy who irritatingly keeps getting hotter, and whose strong arms always seem to find their way around me.  And when he gives me that grin, I can never say no.

One boy will give me my very first kiss.
One boy will teach me to make out.
One boy will take me to prom.
And finally, one boy will ask me to marry him.
They will both be my best friends.
But only one of them will be the boy I fall in love with.
Only one of them is That Boy


Jillian Dodd...I think it's possible you were trying to kill me with this book.  I've never had so many mood swings in that short a period of time before.  Yup! I read this book in one sitting.  It was cute and frustrating and fun and funny and sad and miserable and had me balling like a baby in sadness and then tearing up in happiness.  I was starting to feel a little crazy!

In the very beginning JJ gives us the important things she has learned in her life so far
1. Always be the Princess
2. Never be the Queen
3. Responsibility makes you crabby and no fun
4. When you have the choice, play with a boy.
5. Always trust your Daddy
6. Never kiss and tell
7. Never, ever, ever trust Mary Beth Parker.

and even though she was only in 4th grade at the time, I can still look at this list now and think...smart girl!!

We truly grew up with JJ in this book and Jillian did a great job of changing her writing to grow as JJ grew in the story.  She really wrote through a wide age range in one book and did it so well.

JJ wasn't a typical girly girl, yes she did love boys but she also loved sports and running around and hanging out with her guy best friends Phillip and Danny.  And oh did I love Phillip and Danny! Okay so I always loved Phillip a little bit more than Danny but I always love one more than the other, I make no apologies.

I won't say that something I didn't want to shake her around a little bit because I absolutely did, but I grew more patient with her about 40% into the book and I also grew to love Phillip and Danny a little bit more after then as well.

I know I'm hoping on the 'That Boy' train late, but I would have to say better late than never.  I laughed, I cried, I sat and read it in one sitting so I could find out what was going to happen.  And I am going to start 'That Wedding' right now because I can't wait for more of these characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment