“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Truth (Consequences #2) - Aleatha Romig


Claire Nichols endured the CONSEQUENCES of Anthony Rawlings’ vendetta.
When she first arrived to his home, her goal was survival. Through strength and compartmentalization Claire captivated her captor. Her resilience in the face of his rule threatened Anthony’s well developed plan. Domination became desire and power turned to love.
Their passion and adoration in a world of opulence appeared perfect. Yet, reality was a roller coaster of emotion. Claire’s world teetered on the edge of sanity as Antony monitored her every move. When given the opportunity to flee, Claire drove away. A fateful decision which set a well laid plan into motion.
However, unbeknownst to either of them, there were others who saw past the perfect facade of Anthony Rawlings. There were others who saw the TRUTH. Conspiracy and unfulfilled promises result in an early prison release for Claire. Not just a release – a pardon. According to the law, her crime never happened!
Will it be that easy? Faced with freedom from her past... can Claire seize it? Can she build a new life, mend her broken spirit, become the woman she once was, and seek her own revenge? Or is it all a game? And does the game master have different plans?
How does Sophia Burke fit into the puzzle that is Tony and Claire? Will her presence affect the future of this well esteemed man? Can he dominate twice? Is that his goal?
TRUTH continues the tumultuous saga of CONSEQUENCES, introduces new players, and uncovers more intrigue. Aleatha Romig skillfully weaves past transgressions through current deception to create a fervent world of obsessed desire. In this reality can an all-consuming relationship survive?
When buried sins are discovered they threaten not only Tony and Claire’s future -- but their very lives! Will the TRUTH be revealed in time?

 

You know that part in A Few Good Men where Jack Nicholson is on the stand and Tom Cruise is asking him questions:  JN: “You want answers?” TC: “I want the truth!”  JN: “You can’t handle the truth!”

Tom Cruise was right in what he said by thinking he was entitled to the truth, but Jack Nicholson was right too, I couldn’t handle it all! It’s been days and I haven’t been able to read anything else… I just keep thinking about this book and how the end of 2013 or the beginning of 2014 is WAY TOO LONG to have to wait for Convicted.   

I couldn’t turn off the detective in me while reading this book.  I was always trying to figure out how to put all the puzzle pieces together and make them work.  I thought I was good too, I figured out things and was proud of myself every time my theories were proven right.  But I truly didn’t have it all, which is what makes this book good.   

I was still torn about Tony throughout the whole book.  I know, I know, how can one be torn about a guy who set up their wife to take the fall for his own attempted murder, right? The thing is, since I compartmentalized Tony into Anthony and Tony, I placed all the blame on Anthony and found that I still loved Tony.  He’s an ass, and he’s scary and unpredictable - as I learned in Consequences, but ugh I was still so split.  I literally felt fear when he reappeared in the book but was happy to hear from him too.  I have issues!   

Then we watched Claire grow back into her own person and that was fabulous to see.  She regained a relationship with her sister, slowly and had some new friends that had her back regardless.  [Enter Harrison who I also fell slightly in love with (DAMMIT!)].   

Here are my updates from reading this sequel:  

99.0%
"Good Lord!"
93.0%
"Bitch! I was right about who she was but not who she is... Grrr"
89.0%
"I want to believe in this, but I'm skeptical..."
86.0%
"I am so torn up... Dammit Trish!"
73.0%
"I think it's possible this book is taking years off my life!"
63.0%
"Freaking the fuck out right now..."
32.0%
"Also I was right about her angel and I think I know not only who sent the box, but who that person really is... And I know it probably wasn't a dream :("
32.0%
"Please please please let that have been a dream!"
9.0%
"Is it wrong that my heart jumped when he was just on the phone? These books are giving me anxiety!"

So in the world of, this is all Trish’s fault, this book had me captivated.  I also thought this book was a little better at describing their time together, and dialing it back a little bit on the over descriptive everything else – well just a little bit.     

I also found the Sophia and Derek storyline to be a little annoying at times, even though I understood (even at the time) its importance…I found myself angry when it would switch over to their story because I wanted more Claire and Tony, or what I would consider any of the main characters.  And I would skim through their story just to get it over with quicker.  Once I realized I was doing it, I talked myself off the ledge and tried harder to appreciate it in its entirety.   

In the end, I couldn’t handle the Truth, even with everything I figured out, I really had no idea.  I honestly have been messed up since.  It was exhausting and exhilarating. I truly cannot wait to see what happens next, and I will be keeping my fingers crossed that we get to find out sooner than the end of the year!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment