“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wilson Mooney: Almost Eighteen - Gretchen de la O


Abandoned by her mother at the vulnerable age of eight; only to be shipped off to a boarding school in Northern California by her grandparents, Wilson Mooney, is one girl who knows what it’s like to have to grow up way too fast. Now, a month away from turning eighteen and orphaned by the death of her grandparents; she knows exactly what she wants. All it takes is a spontaneous ski trip with her narcissistic roommate to Colorado to make it a reality. When "he" happens to show up at a party in Aspen, Wilson becomes tangled in the powerful emotions of first love, sexual inexperience, and society’s principles. She lives a whirlwind weekend filled with newly discovered boundaries, calloused aches for a family she never had, and all the pressures of keeping their weekend together a secret.

 

I got a message from my friend telling me I had to read these books and that the second one was better than the first.  I had been struggling to get into anything since I finished Truth so I figured at least her pushing me meant I’d get through them.  Logged in, bought the first and second book and got to reading.   

I’m not going to lie…this book started out S-L-O-W for me.  Like, is Trish smoking something because she told me I had to read this asap and I’m not getting it?, slow.  That’s how about the first half went, and then the story picked up.  Thank God! 

At first I wasn’t sure how I felt about Wilson.  She has had a pretty hard life but seems to be able to just let things go and roll off her back.  She is surrounded mostly by girls who think they are better than everyone and definitely better than her.  While I couldn’t see things completely from her perspective, I wanted to know how she could be that way, how she could let things roll of her back when she should slap the hell out of some people.  Her point of view on this kept me interested.   

I absolutely could not stand her roommate Cindy.  While she put on a facade in the very first part of the book of being just a little self-centered, from the time they get off the Wesley campus and to the “cabin” on she is every stereotypical rich kid gone bitchy! 

On the flip side, it wasn’t until they left campus that we got to meet Nick.  I’m not going to lie, I fell a little in like with Nick from the time he picked them up from the airport.  He was sweet, sexy and although he had his own secrets, he didn’t hold Cindy’s poor behavior against her friend as most in his situation would.  I was hoping maybe something would happen between Wilson and Nick because I really enjoyed him. 

And then of course, there is Max… I LOVED HIM!!! I loved his family, I loved him, I loved them together… I wanted to crawl up in the book and snuggle him myself! He was a perfect mix of smart, understanding, protective and of course sexy.  

Their time together is when the story picked up for me.  I hated the lying, and with each person that learned the secret I would cringe expecting the worst to happen.  I especially hated lying to Max’s family.  I adored Nancy and felt guilty myself that they were lying to her. 

The whole second half of the book I was on edge wondering how they would make this work.  When it ended, I was so happy I had already bought the second book so I could start it right away.  It was hard to rate this book, if it had continued on like the beginning it would have been a 3.  If the first half was like the second half, easy four.  So I guess the law of averages makes it a 3.5!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment