“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Forbidden (Book I The Arotas Trilogy) - Amy Miles


Roseline Enescue didn't ask to become an immortal, to have all of the guests at her wedding slaughtered, or be forced into marriage with a man whose lust for blood would one day ignite the vampire legend.

Willing to risk everything for a chance at a normal life, Roseline escapes to America, but her transition into the human world isn't easy. Mortal men flock after her while cutthroat girls plot her demise. Yet she remains relatively unfazed until she meets Gabriel Marston. As their lives entwine, Roseline realizes he is more than he seems. His ability to grind concrete into dust pales in comparison to the glowing cross tattoo that mysteriously appears on his forearms.

Despite the forbidden bond between them, Roseline can't help wondering what Gabriel is. He's not human. He's not immortal. So just what is he?
 

So, this was my first Amy Miles book.  In a quest to read more of the authors attending the Boston Author Event, I found her name and recognized it from the Facebook group for the event and decided she would be next.  Also in her favor was the fact that I’ve been a complete cover whore lately and I loved the cover for this book.   

While there were some grammatical issues with the book, overall I was pleasantly surprised at how much I wound up liking this book in the end.  Part of the way through, I wasn’t sure if that would be the case.   

I liked that the story started out different.  Yes it was a “vampire” story of sorts but it was a different take on it.  Here is a girl who is supposed to be getting married (though she’s not happy with who she’s getting married to – arranged marriage and all), which you would think should be the happiest day of her 17 year old life, but instead she has to watch her husband and brother-in-law kill all of her family and wedding guests for the fun of it.  Everyone she’s ever known and loved has been taken away from her, and then on top of that he takes away her life by making her immortal.  After 300 years, who wouldn’t want to run away? 

Past the prologue, the story moved a little slowly for me in the beginning.  It was sometimes confusing and other times just felt a little flat.  I liked the characters Amy introduced and how they were different from typical storybook characters, I just needed a little more drama or something, I think.  Sadie seemed like a great friend, and while she was different, I think that’s what made their friendship work.  Poor William, he never really stood a chance, but I really liked him and I wanted him to find a happiness.  I was definitely invested.   

Once Gabriel became a bigger part of the story, things picked up for me and that’s when the story really kept my attention.  With a  paranormal story, I need the action.  I need the unanswered questions.  What was happening to him/them? Why? How? What would happen? Would her husband find them? I needed these things to keep me going and was thrilled when they started to happen and my questions started to fall into place.   

I’m still confused about some things.  How her sister played a part in this? What is going on with Gabriel? What will happen now? I am hoping some of these things get settled in the next book, which of course I already bought.  I will definitely be going back to this series and I am hoping to build on the second half of the book.   

Overall I would have to say it was a good first impression for me with Amy Miles!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment