“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Playing For Keeps - A Neighbor From Hell Novel - R L Mathewson


Done with being the world's biggest pushover, Haley decides that things are going to change starting with the aggravating neighbor who has too much charm and not enough restraint. What she didn't expect was to sucked into his world, but Haley has a game plan and she won't let herself forget just what the bad boy next door is capable of.

The last thing Jason expected was for his little shy neighbor to go Rambo on him over some ruined flowers. After he decides to take her under his wing he can't help but that notice that she fits very nicely in his life. Now the only left is to convince her that this is anything but a game.

 

This book for me was a classic case of don’t judge a book by its cover…but in a good way!

In my attempt to read more authors before the BAE, I bought this book by R L Mathewson thinking it would be a light slutmance (thank you Georgia Cates for this new to me word).  The typical - guy meets girl, guy seduces girl, there is lots of sex, then some angst, and then a HEA - story.  I apologize to the author, because I was definitely wrong. 

6% into the book, I decided I loved it – both characters living in New England (Red Sox Country) are Yankee fans, we have found a winner!!  

My attempt at joking aside, this book was full of humor.  There were many times I found myself laughing out loud along with the story, which was completely unexpected and which made me fall in love with the characters a little more. 

I loved that Haley was a bit of a nerd.  She wore glasses (which is almost a never for female main characters), she loved sports and she was a fangirl for Derek Jeter (as so many of us are).  She definitely wasn’t perfect but she was likeable to read.  I love that we get to see where she came from, and how much different she is than her family (except her grandmother).   

Jason is your typical bed hopping bad boy.  He uses girls and doesn’t believe in commitment.  He’s been tormenting Haley by just existing in her space both as her neighbor at home and at school.  He doesn’t take care of his personal space and doesn’t seem to mind invading hers.  He loves food.  The boy has a bottomless stomach and he doesn’t like to share (remember that episode of Friends, “Joey doesn’t share food” – that’s Jason, and apparently for him, it’s genetic).  At least that’s Jason, on the outside.  When we get to know Jason, he is all about trying to get Haley to channel the part in her that stands up for herself and doesn’t let anyone take advantage of her, especially the losers (as he calls them) that she typically dates.  He is smart, passionate and cares about his friends and family.   

I loved the banter and back and forth.  I loved watching their relationship go from non-existent, to friends, to more.  This book being told from the third person, really helped to understand both characters, even though it’s mainly told from Haley’s POV. 

I so wanted her to just be able to tell him how she was feeling, or why she was holding part of herself back.  I read this book in one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed it!! 4 stars for R L Mathewson.  I look forward to reading more of this series as well as some of her others books. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment