“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Maybe Someday - Colleen Hoover

At twenty-two years old, Sydney has a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her best friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter's cheating on her—and she is left trying to decide what to do next.

Sydney becomes captivated by Ridge, her mysterious neighbor. She can’t take her eyes off him or stop listening to his playing his guitar every day out on his balcony. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one…



Everyone has at least one author.  The books you buy without looking at the blurb, the reviews or any of the spoilers because you refuse to have it ruined for you.  If Colleen Hoover wasn't that author for you before this book, she absolutely should be now.

I'm not going to do it either - I'm not going to spoil this book.  I'm not going to tell you what happens or ruin it for anyone because everyone should experience this for themselves.  You learn so much in the first 14% of this book, and if affects every single piece of the story moving forward after that - that it just wouldn't be fair of me to take that away from any reader.  

Here is what I can tell you...

Maybe Someday isn't just about a boy and a girl.  It's not just a love story.  It's not just about writing music.  It's about how all of those things fit together and make a person who they are, who they are truly meant to be when they are honest and put everything on the line.  Maybe Someday is about choices; right vs. wrong, what the heart wants vs. what the heart needs.  

It's about what you do when those things are so at odds, you don't know which way is up, "Hey, heart.  Are you listening? You and I are officially at war."  - I felt that way too through this whole book.  This book will bring out every emotion you have.  

I laughed, uncontrollably at times.  I sighed, I cried...and then I cried harder.  I found my laugh again and then the mother-butterflying butterflies in my stomach took off.  The fact that I felt butterflies...literally in my stomach, my nervousness was real.  And in the end I found tears again.  All of it playing out in the span of one night because I COULD NOT PUT THIS DOWN!

"There are only twenty-six letters in the English alphabet."  That's it, twenty-six letters... letters that make up words that make up stories.  Things we use everyday, but nothing we do in the same way as Colleen Hoover.

I've said it before, and I will continue to say it - there is something incredibly special about this woman.  Her ability to take a serious situation and wrap you into the story so that you don't focus on the negatives and only see the story.  It's like you are somehow a part of it.  Right there watching it all unfold.  It's how you want for something you know is wrong to happen anyway because she makes you want that.  

Her talent is limitless.  

She had me at Slammed.  She won me a Point of Retreat.  She's kept me through Hopeless, This Girl and Losing Hope.  She made me fall in love all over again with Maybe Someday.  

Since this book deals mostly with music, I'll leave you with this - they say great singers could sing the phone book and keep us entertained...Colleen Hoover could re-write the dictionary and have us all sitting on edge waiting for a sequel.  



No comments:

Post a Comment