“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Off the Record (Record #1) - K.A. Linde

Liz Dougherty has no idea a single question is about to change her life.

Her first big reporting assignment for her North Carolina college newspaper has her covering a state senator’s impromptu press conference. Brady Maxwell may have everything it takes to be a politician—a winning pedigree, devastating good looks, a body made to wear suits—but his politics rub Liz the wrong way. When Liz’s hard-hitting question catches the upstart senator off-guard, it impresses Hayden Lane, Liz’s editor who feels she’s headed for a promising career as a reporter.

But Liz is also headed into a secret romance with Brady that could destroy both their ambitions. Though he’s a bachelor, potential voters might frown on Brady cozying up to a reporter. And Liz isn’t sure sneaking around is enough for her—especially when things between her and Hayden might be less platonic than she thought.

Sleek, sexy, and smart, Off the Record ventures into a high-stakes campaign and an even higher-stakes affair to answer the question: When politics and love collide, can there ever be a winner?


4.5 red, white & blue stars!

My fellow readers, I've seen your buttons, your bookmarks and your Vote for Maxwell posts and I sit before you now...a believer. 

Why you ask? Because, "You should know that voting records don't always tell the whole story...Sometimes you really have to get to know a person before judging them so thoroughly." And that's what I did in reading this book. I've heard from the betas that Brady was ah-mazing. Better than the AC boys...well my Ramsey loving heart didn't just believe them. I had to find out for myself. 

Here's the thing, I didn't fall for Brady the way I feel for Ramsey. That's not what this book was about for me. This book was about Liz. At the end of AC when Lexi gets on the plane and walks away from everyone, I sat up straighter, I fell for her (before she went and screwed it up again) and I was proud of her. That's how I felt about Liz through most of this book. She's smart, strong, witty and she can hold her own. She was a character you cheer for. 

The writing in this book is done so well that many times I forgot it was being told in the third person. I truly felt that Liz was telling me her story and I was along for the ride. There were even a few times I saw the word "she" and got confused, forgetting the story was in the third person - which I don't usually care for. It honestly, couldn't have been better. 

Now, this IS a K.A. Linde story so you will have more than one hottie to fall for; Hayden - the mixed signal giving, polo wearing editor-in-chief, that Liz has been crushing on for years. Brady of course - the politician, and I'm giving away nothing on this one. Chris - Brady's best friend who I instantly fell for and Clay - Brady's cocky younger brother. You'll have to read about them for yourself and choose wisely. Your choice today will affect you, well knowing how her books affect me, probably forever.

Then, there was the last chapter...yes I said it, the last freaking chapter. The whole book, I was all girl power and Vote for Liz! Then, he did it. Brady won my vote! And then there were the last few sentences that left me hanging on and needing more. I'm in love with a politician. God help me. 

So make sure on March 11th, you get out and click your Vote for Maxwell on Amazon, B&N (paperbacks only), or where ever your polling station may be. A vote for Maxwell is a vote for Liz. A vote for Maxwell is a vote for K.A. and a vote for Maxwell, is really for yourself. Trust me, I'm not a politician!

I would easily say this is K.A.'s best work to date. I am absolutely hooked and will be anxiously awaiting book 2 - AUGUST CANNOT COME SOON ENOUGH (K - Seriously, book 2, pleeeeeaaassseee?)



No comments:

Post a Comment