“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Best Kind of Broken - Chelsea Fine

Pixie and Levi haven't spoken in nearly a year when they find themselves working―and living―at the same inn in the middle of nowhere. Once upon a time, they were childhood friends. But that was before everything went to hell. And now things are... awkward.

All they want to do is avoid each other, and their past, for as long as possible. But now that they're forced to share a bathroom, and therefore a shower, keeping their distance from one another becomes less difficult than keeping their hands off each other. Welcome to the hallway of awkward tension and sexual frustration, folks. Get comfy. It’s going to be a long summer.


I was excited to see that Chelsea Fine had written a NA book.  I was lucky enough to get to meet her at an Occasionalist Author Event in Phoenix and thought she was super sweet, very friendly and ridiculously adorable.  I have been staying away from YA books because they tend to leave me feeling annoyed so I hadn't read anything she had written but heard mention she would be venturing into NA.  I was excited to see this title pop up on Net Galley and couldn't wait to give it a try.  Chelsea Fine was finally doing NA...

Well...sorta....

This story is about two college age kids, Pixie and Levi, who were lifelong friends turned into people who didn't want to be in the same room together.  Tragedy separated them, and a year later fate...and Aunt Ellen...threw them back together for the summer - working together, living together and sharing a bathroom.

I have to say this - Levi is supposed to be football star kinda hot, and the name just wasn't doing it for me... I didn't picture Brady Quinn, I pictured an Amish Farmer - Levi... nope...didn't work for me.

Anyway, this story is of two broken people pulling themselves out of the wreck of tragedy and putting together the pieces of their lives, the way they think they have to.  Most of the time, it's a little frustrating because it's a dual POV so you know what both people are thinking and you kind of want to slap them both.

This book read to me like a YA author trying to write for an older crowd.  Most of the feel of the book was younger with a few awkward, not completely developed sexy scenes thrown in to appease those of us that wanted to see more.

I felt like even though there were a ton of short chapters, I would have liked to have seen the beginning condensed a little better and then maybe more of an ending (more time spent on the current state of affairs at the end of the book).  I would probably recommend this book to those I know that like YA books with a little sneak peak into NA.

*ARC provided by Forever (Grand Central Publishing) via Net Galley*




No comments:

Post a Comment