“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Fusion (The Patrick Chronicles 2) - Nicole Williams

Patrick Hayward isn’t used to feeling helpless. He’s a man of action used to controlling his destiny. But falling in love with Emma Scarlett had a way of upending everything, his sanity included.

Locked away as inmate number one-three-seven-oh for a crime he didn’t commit, Patrick spends his days slopping toxic sludge onto trays, resisting the urge to tear the heinous, scratchy, orange jumpsuit from his body, and making sure every hardened criminal behind bars with him knows he’s the biggest and baddest of them all.

With the help of his handy little gift of teleportation, his nights are spent watching a certain green eyed goddess from the shadows. When he discovers a couple of Inheritors stalking her one night, he realizes the obstacle of explaining who and what he is to Emma might not be the biggest battle they face.


I started off a giddy school girl to have my favorite brothers back.  Fusion starts with the epilogue from Fissure so I had William and Patrick back together right from the start.  As a self-proclaimed Willtrick girl (my inability to choose between brothers) I was super happy from the start. 

The only thing I thought was missing from Fissure was seeing Patrick with Bryn.  Their relationship was so amazing in the Eden series that I was hoping she would make an appearance in The Patrick Chronicles and I finally got it.  Although I absolutely wanted Bryn with William, I loved her relationship with Patrick as well, it was always the two of them against the world.  This book did not let me down in that area.  It brought Bryn and Patrick and their witty banter and their special kind of love back together within the first few chapters, my favorite trio was all back together (even if it was only at night while Patrick was popping in from jail) - and I was a happy girl!

If I was honest with myself, I would say that I knew what was going to happen in this book…I knew while I was reading Fissure and I can pinpoint exactly when I knew.  But it’s like knowing your favorite team is going to lose in the super bowl, no matter how bad it is, you keep telling yourself there is still a chance and you still find yourself utterly devastated when they eventually do lose the game.  That’s how I feel right now! I knew what was going to happen, yet I’m still devastated by it. 
 
Patrick is the same character we have always loved, but he’s grown a little and I found a way to love him that much more (making the ability to pick a favorite brother that much harder).  I love the way he loves Emma and the way he loves his family and of course the way they all love him in return. 

Nicole Williams gave us five books full of these amazing characters.  She definitely had me emotionally invested.  Unfortunately for me, that emotional investment turned into crying like a baby at 12:30 at night (I mean hysterical, had to go into the other room as to not wake my husband and facebook messaging Nicole to tell her I was mad at her, crazy upset)…  Do I wish the story could have been a different? Of course! But then it wouldn’t have been Patrick and Emma’s story.  Was it sill beautiful in its own way? Absolutely! But just because I understand why she broke my heart, doesn’t mean I like it!

I’m sad to see this series end, but am looking forward to whatever Nicole writes next. 

1 comment:

  1. Tara, as you already know, I knew what was going to happen as well. The Patrick series was very predictable. I know why the events occured the way that they did, but I was still so sad at the end. I'm still sad. I hate that I get so caught up in fiction. It felt like a few things were missing from the story. However, those things really didn't matter to the story itself (I think). Great story just the same. I love the Hayward clan.

    ReplyDelete