“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Taking Chances - Molly McAdams

Eighteen year old Harper has grown up under her career Marine of a father's thumb. Ready to live life her own way and experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit; she's on her way to college at San Diego State University.

Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family and emotions. Some she wasn't expecting yet, and others she never knew she was missing.

She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with her boyfriend Brandon, and her roommate's brother Chase. Covered in tattoos, known for fighting in the Underground and ridiculously muscled...they're exactly what she was always warned to stay away from, but just what she needs. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both adore and would do anything for Harper, including stepping back if it means she's happy.

Her first year away is turning out to be near perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.


I can't tell you how many times my heart stopped on my flight from Minneapolis back to Baltimore while reading this book. I was starting to feel like a damn crazy person loving this book one minute, hating it the next. I was Team Carter, Team Brandon, Team Chase, Team Brandon, Team Chase, Team Brandon - I couldn't decide!

Just when I thought things were going to be okay BAM! Molly McAdams threw in another curve that led to a twist that I totally didn't see coming. It made me sit straight up in bed yell WHAT?!?! and start crying (not for the first time might I add). I literally thought out loud, Good Lord what is this woman doing to me?!?! First I'm laughing out loud then I'm wiping away tears - literally feeling crazy!

I finally finished this book but have been on the brink of tears ever since and can't seem to shake myself out of the fog. I don't mean to say that there weren't funny moments or light moments in this book also because there absolutely were and some of the things that make you want to cry are happy moments too, but Jeez...I don't think my heart could have taken any more!

A lot of female main characters annoy me, and I know some will probably say that Harper annoyed them too, but I didn't feel that way. I (for once) actually understood her pull to first Chase then Brandon (then Chase, then Brandon...).

She leaves her "home" full of Marines to find herself with her new college roommate Bree (fun, funny, outgoing, and quickly becomes the sister she never had) at a party hosted by Bree's brother and his housemates. Harper has been sheltered away from things like this her whole life. She was home schooled and protected by her jarheads, so even this small introduction of a party is well outside her normal comfort zone. Not to mention it's the first time she's ever dressed like a girl. This is also where she meets Bree's brother Chase and he is exactly the kind of guy she has been warned to stay away from...he's the super sexy surfer type who is tattooed and has had multiple girls on his harm all night. He's a typical college playboy who isn't looking for a relationship, and while Harper knows Chase is no good for her, she can't help her attraction and feelings toward him...who could blame her!

While dealing with her conflicted feelings about Chase (loving and hating him), she meets Brandon (Chase's housemate) who is also a hot body and killer smile but learns he's also genuine, smart, caring and about any other adjective that makes him just about perfect...because he pretty much is! She easily falls in love with Brandon, and I have to say I felt like I was constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop with this guy because I just couldn't believe how perfect he was...

I have a ton of favorite quotes from both of them but don't want to give anything away...

So what happens when two amazing guys fall for the same girl...lots of drama and heartache for me! This book is a journey to self-discovery, it's about love and loss and more love. It's about family, even if not in the traditional sense. It's about forgiveness and second chances.

It's hard to say you love something that leaves you an emotional wreck, but I did, I loved it. And I will read it again someday. But right now I'm still in mourning...I couldn't even start another book right away, I had to take the rest of the night off (a first for me!).

To have an emotional response to a book for me, makes it a good book. This was a great book. Five stars for me, one star for every time I cried!


No comments:

Post a Comment