“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

On Dublin Street - Samantha Young

Four years ago, Jocelyn Butler left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Edinburgh. Burying the grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without any real attachments has worked well for her so far but when Joss moves into a fantastic apartment on Dublin Street, her carefully guarded world is shaken to its core by her new roommate’s sexy older brother.

Braden Carmichael is a man who always gets what he wants. And what he wants is Jocelyn in his bed. Knowing how skittish Joss is concerning any kind of relationship, Braden proposes a sexual arrangement that should satisfy the intense attraction between them without it developing into anything ‘more’. An intrigued Jocelyn agrees, completely unprepared for the Scotsman and his single-minded determination to strip the stubborn young woman bare…to the very soul.
 

This book started out heartbreaking! I started reading this based on the recommendation of a friend and couldn't believe the prologue. I was not in the mood for a sad book, but I trusted my friend would not steer me wrong and I kept on reading. What I found was a book that was funny, steamy, heart-warming and lovable!

Joss has been through a lot in a very short amount of time. She's guarded and closed off and she runs away from her problems rather than facing them head on. She is a totally relatable character that you couldn't help but love. Even when she was pushing people away to keep herself from caring about anyone, I didn't get angry with her like I usually get with other main characters - I felt bad for her. I understand what pain like that must feel like and why she wouldn't want to go through it again.

When she is forced to move out of her current living situation (with her also closed off best friend from college) she finds herself in a nice part of town living with her complete opposite - upbeat, fun, outgoing and lovable Ellie.

Then there is Braden...*sigh* Braden is the sexy, smart, successful brother of Joss's new roommate Ellie. Braden is a man who knows and gets what he wants, and he want Joss...naked! When the tension between them gets to be too much to handle he persuades Joss into a friends with benefits type relationship that crosses too many lines at times. He wants into more than just her pants and she isn't looking for romance or to tell her deep dark secrets to anyone, but between Ellie and Braden she feels like someone is trying to knock down the ivory tower she's built herself into, and that doesn't make her happy.

I loved this book. There were laugh out loud moments and heart stopping type moments and hold onto your knickers type moments (yup, I've seen that word in too many of my books now that I feel the need to start using it)!

Definitely a 4.5 star book for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment