“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Scars and Songs (Mad World #3) - Christine Zolendz


Shane Maxton is front man for New York City’s popular rock band, Mad World. But he has secrets; he’s not what everybody thinks he is.
He comes from an ancient world, from a different time, when angels walked among men.
Read the story, through Shane’s eyes, of his forbidden love, his fall from grace and his inner turmoil from living with the irrational emotions of being human.

Disclaimer #1: This is the story of Mad World Books 1 & 2, Fall From Grace and Saving Grace, written through the point of view of Shane Maxton.
IT IS THE SAME Love STORY of Grace and Shane. It’s just Shane’s turn to tell it to you, it’s everything you’ve read before and a whole lot more.
Disclaimer #2: This story contains rock and roll, angels doing naughty things, violence, cursing, drinking alcohol, substance abuse, sexual situations, and irritating scenes that will make you want to hurl your eReader or book out the window. It’s not suitable for anyone under the age of 18.
 

"Jack Fucking Daniels and I were hoping he could cure me of this life" - Shane Maxton

Maybe it’s because I love a good paranormal story now and then to change things up? Maybe it’s because it’s been over 100 books since I read Fall From Grace and Saving Grace that I could fully appreciate this same story from Shane’s POV? Or maybe it’s because I’ve been in such a book funk that hearing a story I enjoyed the first time, helped pulled me out this time? Maybe it’s because I got a complete story and didn’t have to wait a year to get the second part? Maybe it’s because I simply love Shane Maxton? I don’t know – but this book made me happy!!! "Number one, shut up and fuck you." 

100% honesty - I didn’t stalk this book.  I didn’t start a countdown.  I didn’t track in on my calendar.  Maybe that was the best thing I could have done? When I saw it was live, I had to buy it…but then…I didn’t read it right away.  I knew it was being re-told from Shane’s POV but I already knew the story, knew how it ended and with the book funk I’ve been in, I wasn’t sure the timing was right.  If I already knew how it was going to end, it didn’t matter when I read it.  (I know, I know but that’s the book funk talking.) 

After finishing 2 other new releases, and not giving them more than 3 stars, I figured I might as well give it a try.  I had loved Shane Maxton once before, even though he drove me a little crazy, maybe he could be the one to pull me out of my 3’s.  

The Angel/Rockstar did just that with his singing of Hallelujah! "For a split second, I looked down to see if my skin was turning green and I'd be busting out of my shirt all Hulk-style. No dice."

I laughed out loud, I teared up, I wanted to throw my Kindle at the wall (damn if I didn’t know how it ended and STILL got frustrated while I was reading).   

There was just something about seeing this story from the other side that made my heart skip a beat and fall in love all over again.  To those that think his POV should have been included in the first story - sorry but I think you are wrong.  This was imperfectly perfect, just like Shane and Grace! "That song was sexy as all fuck, but dancing to it with Grace made it sinful, and I couldn't get enough of her." 

So here are the thank yous to Christine: Thank you for making this one book! Thank you for making this story complete because now that I’ve seen it through Shane’s eyes, I feel like it is (unless he starts singing to you again!)! Thank you for bringing this wonderful group of characters to life and sharing them with us.  Special thanks for Lea because we might still be waiting for them to get their shit together without her.  Thank you for (hopefully) pulling me out of my book funk with your story! And thank you for leaving the opening in the epilogue to bring them back.   


"Until then, just love them fiercely."


No comments:

Post a Comment