“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Friday, December 28, 2012

Forever My Girl (The Beaumont Series) - Heidi McLaughlin


I was never supposed to be a rock star. I had my life all planned out for me. Play football in college. Go to the NFL. Marry my high school sweetheart and live happily ever after.

I broke both our hearts that day when I told her I was leaving. I was young. I made the right decision for me, but the wrong decision for us. I’ve poured my soul into my music, but I’ve never forgotten her. Her smell, her smile.

And now I’m going back.

After ten years.

I hope I can explain that after all this time.

I still want her to be my forever girl.
 

This story is about love…it’s about happiness, and following your own dreams.  This is a story about second chances, second chances with family, friends, lovers… and the second chances you’ll never have because sometimes, in some cases it is too late. 

Liam Westbury was a football star.  He and his friends and teammates broke records and won championships.  He was recruited to play in college and was part of dream that lead him to spotlight of the NFL.  "I told her I'd love her forever. I said I love you first and promised to never let her go."

Liam Page is a tattooed rock star who gave up the All American dream and the All American girl to play music.  But when he gave up the dream, he never stopped loving her and turned his pain into a prosperous career. 

Neither side of Liam had been back in Beaumont since he made the choice to leave for Los Angeles and his music.  "I gave up on their dreams and the life we had all planned out. And now I was heading home to face the music."

Josephine “Josie” Preston was a cheerleader and the other half of the All American dream.  Date Liam, Love Liam, go to college, Liam gets drafted, get married, have babies, stay in love forever.  It’s what every girl wants, right? Until the day he destroys your dream and leaves you, never answers her calls, and changes his number.  She moves back to Beaumont with their high school best friends (and couple Katelyn and Mason) and pulls her life together the best she can, knowing that a piece of her will always be with Liam Westbury (not Liam Page). 

Heidi McLaughlin takes us through the story as it’s happening now from both Liam and Josie’s POV’s now and flashbacks from their years in high school and the day of their break up.  Heidi’s writing is amazing.  I felt like I could see it all happening.  It was descriptive enough without being too wordy and I honestly read it all in one night because I couldn’t wait to see how it was all going to unfold.

The book hooked me emotionally in the first chapter and never let me go.  Would I say I didn’t know how it would end? – No…but I couldn’t wait to get there and see it. 

The only real issue I had (and I know I should have an issue with the way she treated Nick, but I just don’t), is that I felt like I needed a little bit more at the end.  I mean yes, it’s a good place to stop, and yes I know there is going to be another book BUT that book is a companion book more than a sequel and while I’m sure Liam and Josie will be in it, it won’t really be about them… so I just felt like I wanted a little bit more from the both of them.  Take me on tour…or through the last scene from her POV… I don’t know.  I felt like we went along for such an emotional ride and I wanted a little bit more of the good stuff. 

Otherwise, I think this was a fantastic debut novel for Heidi McLaughlin… I’m looking forward to many more nights with a piece of her mind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment