“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Ready to Wed - Cindi Madsen


Is there anything worse than getting jilted at the altar? How about being a wedding planner getting jilted at the altar for your own wedding...on a cruise already out at sea? When Las Vegas resident Dakota Halifax loses her fiancĂ©, she swears she's given up on love altogether. She pours her heart into her weekly wedding advice column and fills her days planning events to celebrate others' forever love. When her childhood best friend Brendan moves to Las Vegas and they reconnect, she starts to wonder if maybe love could find her again. But then her ex reappears, begging for another chance. Can someone once-burned and twice-shy ever find her way down the aisle again? 

“Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale.”  

This story starts out a little heartbreaking.  Poor Dakota being stood up by her fiancĂ©, and dealing with the emotions that go into waiting for someone and realizing they aren’t coming.  I could not even imagine what that would be like, let alone if you are a wedding planner.  Add to that the fact that you are in a foreign place on a boat… poor Dakota.  I instantly felt sympathy for her. 

But this book isn’t all sad.  Dakota is a reformed tomboy turned wedding planner – with a color chart like the terror threat levels but girlier.  She’s funny, smart and I highly enjoyed living in her head and letting it go where it might lead.  Her supporting cast of characters were just as entertaining – though aside from her and Brendan (whose team I was on from the moment he walks through the door), Wild Bill might be my favorite in the supporting role.  Or maybe the firefighters – they are funny too. 

But then there is Grant, he’s sorry – and he’s asking for a second chance.  I have to tell you, there was a piece of me that thought – ARE YOU FREAKIN’ KIDDING ME?!?! But then when we get to hear his side of the story, you actually understand it and feel sort of bad, and you wonder if she should give him another chance.  He tries so hard to get her to see that they are right for each other and that he does love and want to be with her.  He is after all, everything she thought she wanted.   

So it’s second chance love meets a best friend that moved away /second chance love… both my favorite types of storyline.  WHAT IS A GIRL TO DO?!?! Can I have them both? No… okay well if I must choose, I’m choosing Brendan for myself.  Dakota on the other hand, she’s got to choose the one that is right for her…the guy that gives her butterflies…  

“You just stand there.  I’ll do all the work.”  - I want that kiss! 

I also started to wonder if maybe she should just say forget it, be single and work on her life and her career (which becomes a bit of a struggle after the whole non-wedding thing).  I mean, let’s face it, she was with Grant for a while and she did say yes to marrying him, there had to be a reason.  Maybe she shouldn’t be so quick to go back down that road…but with the smiles and kind eyes between both these guys she was absolutely a goner.  And maybe I was too ;) 

This is the first time I’ve seen a love triangle work out where I didn’t hate either guy.  There was no villain, there was only real life – but more humorous and entertaining than real life is for most people. 

This was my first Cindi Madsen book and I have to say, it will not be my last.  I even found myself thinking of a certain character when I had to put the book down and go to work… SWOON-WORTHY!!! Believe me…actually don’t believe me, try this one out for yourself.  I went and purchased another one of her books right away. 

**ARC provided by Net Galley**
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment