“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Monday, April 8, 2013

Descension (The Mystic Series 1) - B.C. Burgess


A Magical Journey of Epic Romance

Layla
After three years caring for her dying mother, Layla Callaway learns she was adopted under unusual circumstances. Following a cryptic message to seek her birth family in Oregon, Layla uproots her life to find out the truth about her past. And herself.

Quin
Quin's natural charisma is attractive to plenty of women, but he longs for the one he's been dreaming of his entire life. When that day arrives, not only is he breathless, he's confronted with the challenge of a lifetime - an innate need to keep her safe and forever by his side.

The Enemy
Through manipulation and dark magic, Agro uses the powers of others to elevate his supremacy and wealth. When he discovers Layla didn't die at birth, he sets out to find and possess her.

Stretching from coast to coast and teeming with loathed villains and beloved heroes, The Mystic Series is rich with emotion, magic and intrigue. Whether the reader is laughing, crying or falling in love, they'll find themselves invested in Layla's fate through the rich dialogue and emotionally driven characters that weave the web of this fiery tale.

Holy emotional and heartbreaking story…

Here is what I knew before I started reading it… This series was recently picked up by Bandit Publishing, it’s a PNR, and Jillian Dodd loves it.  Since I love Jillian Dodd, that was all I needed to know before deciding to read it myself.  I have to be honest, unlike a lot of other readers, I wasn’t immediately sucked into this book. 

The prologue was a bit confusing to me and sort of hard to get through (for me).  I actually put the book down and walked away from it part of the way through.  I went back to it the next day and got through it and another chapter, but still wasn’t initially sold.  I decided the book and I needed some time apart and I went ahead and read two other stories before returning to this one.  THE THIRD TIME WAS THE CHARM!!! 

From the cryptic message on, I started to feel invested in Layla.  I wanted to know everything, even though based on the prologue and the letter you kind of know a lot.  I felt like we really were on a journey with her.  I loved that she was strong for her mom and independent and I felt like I could even related to her a bit.   

Her story is one of Love, but not just the romantic kind.  It’s the love of and for the woman who raised her, of friends who supported her, of the family she didn’t know she had and parents who were willing to give up the most precious things for her safety…it’s all about love.  And even maybe, hopefully *fingers crossed* love for her with Quin, who she meets when she gets to Oregon.   

Quin is protective and caring and gentle and loving with Layla, pretty much from the time he sees her…and I’ll be honest, I fell in love.  He reminded me a bit of Caleb from the Significance series (not entirely the same, just enough that he came to mind while I was reading – no imprinting though).   

There were still times where I thought the story slowed down a bit too much for me, and I found I was coaching myself through, because like I said, you kind of know what is going to happen – and I wanted to get back to Layla and Quin to see what could possibly happen.  The bonus was though, that during this time we are looking into the past and OH MY HEARTBREAKINGLY WONDERFUL… we get to spend time and see how it all came to be what it is now.  I laughed, I cried, I ugly cried…making that impossible choice and OMG I fell in love with Aedan the last few chapters of time in Idaho with Katherine made everything else fall together so completely that I couldn’t be but thankful for the entire story.  My heart on the other hand, torn to shreds.  A love like that…beautifully written.   

So of course as any girl with a love for the PNR will do when she finishes the first book in a series, I logged on and downloaded the next book this morning.  Aedan and Rose, Quin and Layla – it’s all I could think about.  How will it all turn out… I cannot wait to read and see. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment