“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Impassion (Mystic #2) - B.C. Burgess


Layla
According to the fairy tales Layla Callaway read as a child, she'd stepped into one. She suddenly has the extended family she always wanted, a beautiful home in Oregon, and the ability to perform astonishing magic. But her perfect world has a price, and she may end up paying with her life.




Quin
Quin Kavanagh wants nothing more than to shed his playboy past and devote himself to Layla, but his womanizing reputation threatens to destroy their budding relationship and shatter his dreams.

The Enemy
Obsessed with Layla's immense power, Agro eliminates leads on his way to Oregon. But there's a stranger lurking much closer to Layla's new home, and he's closing in quicker than anyone knows. Leaving a trail of tragedy in their wakes, both wizards crave what Layla has, and they'll stop at nothing to get it.

Stretching from coast to coast and teeming with loathed villains and beloved heroes, The Mystic Series is rich with emotion, magic and intrigue. Whether the reader is laughing, crying or falling in love, they'll find themselves invested in Layla's fate through the rich dialogue and emotionally driven characters that weave the web of this fiery tale.
 

I should probably note from the start that I am Quinsessed! I looked back and my “updates” on goodreads for this book and the first book and the only thing I noted, both times, was that I heart Quin! So, my reviews may have a biased slant toward Quin, but I think anyone else reading it will feel the same way.   

This series is quickly becoming one of my favorite PNR series!! B.C. Burgess has written a family we all wish was our own, an enemy we can all hate together and a couple we all want to get behind.   

Since this books picks up as soon as the last book ended, and it’s not very long as far as time, Layla is still going through all the emotion of losing her mom (Katherine), moving across the country, finding a family she didn’t know she had and all the emotions of reliving her parent’s relationship…oh yeah, and the fact that she is a witch.  Although being a witch is what she seems to be adapting to the best.  She is also learning the dangers of being a twice bonded child.  

We also learn a little bit more about Quin, and I have to say – I for one am glad he wasn’t this perfect guy just waiting for his dream girl to come along.  He knew ever finding her would be a long shot and while he never gave his whole heart, I’m glad that B.C. Burgess didn’t make him some super sexy virginal character, it would just not have been believable.   Even in the short time they've been together, their interactions and reactions to each other and situations shows you so much of the bond that they are sharing.  

We also meet Finley, who I guess is throwing his hat in Layla’s ring…however I don’t trust him and because I’m Quinsessed, I want him gone… I think I know who he is, and if I’m right… well, let’s just say I’m never going to be Team Finley! He does share something special with Layla though, so he could be a possible contender (here's hoping not!)

A discussion board asked us to Vote between FInley and Quin and answer why... I of course chose Quin and my why is because I think they were born to be together! I hope I am right!!! :)

All in all I thought this was a great follow-up and it definitely left me wanting more!

No comments:

Post a Comment