“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Walking Disaster (Beautiful #2) - Jamie McGuire


Can you love someone too much?

Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes.

*** IF YOU HAVE NOT READ BEAUTIFUL DISASTER, STOP! DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK (OR THIS REVIEW) UNTIL YOU HAVE READ BEAUTIFUL DISASTER!!! THANK YOU! ***

I waited forever for this story… I pre-ordered it and then stalked it on my Kindle waiting for the magic time when it would appear.  I wanted to LOVE this story since I absolutely ADORE Travis Maddox and have read Beautiful Disaster more times than I care to admit out loud.  BD is definitely one of my favorites.  
 
The prologue (which was released earlier as well), was heartbreakingly beautiful.  It made me cry the first time I read it.  This time when I read the whole book, I still teared up.  My heart broke for little boy Travis and I was completely moved by his mother’s final advice to him:
                “One of these days you’re going to fall in love, son.  Don’t settle for just anyone.  Chose the girl that doesn’t come easy, the one you have to fight for, and then never stop fighting.  Never” – she took a deep breath – “stop fighting for what you want.  And never” - her eyebrows pulled in – “forget that Mommy loves you.  Even if you can’t see me.”  A tear fell down her cheek.  “I will always, always love you.”               

Honestly, I’m starting to get choked up just thinking about it.  If the entire book had this kind of emotion written behind it, I would so have been so in love with it too…but for me, and believe me this is as hard for me to write as it will be for people to read, (queue the negatives on Amazon and the boos and hisses around the world) this book was just missing something.  I KNOW!!! I know how terrible that sounds.  I was so torn up about this after I put my kindle down last night.  I wanted to scream “FUUUUCCCKKK!!!!” but that felt like I was being overly dramatic.  It’s so hard for me to give Travis Maddox anything less than 50 stars because I love him so much…he is the only book boyfriend I have that can give Kellan Kyle a run for his money, but damn if there just wasn’t something about him that was missing in this book.   

First, I’d start by saying I know this is a companion book to BD…I knew we were going to get a lot of the same story, and honestly I was okay with that.  I didn’t mind the dual dialogue because it is the same story…but in BD we actually got to see time spent without Travis (dates with Parker, time with Finch, etc.) and we got inside Abby’s mind while those things were happening– here we were missing the Travis scenes I was expecting to see… we didn’t go along with him to pick up Toto, although we were a part of the conversation he had with Shep about it…we went along with him to pick out the new couch but not to the tattoo shop OR the jewelry store?  WHAT? – the second tattoo isn’t even mentioned, huh?!?! We didn’t get the scene while America & Shepley are broken up and they are pulling guys off both girls at Red (yes, we knew from Shepley in BD that he didn’t want other guys dancing with his girl but wouldn’t you have liked to see that from their POV, I did!) And for a guy who picked out the ring shortly after they finally got together, we didn’t get to see what getting married to Abby felt like from his POV? KILLING ME! 

The other thing I would say, and maybe it’s my fault for building the excitement up in my head, is that I was just expecting more from Travis.  All that rage, anger, passion, and emotion I felt from him in BD – I didn’t feel as much as I thought I would reading it from his POV.  Weird right? I felt it more told from Abby than from Travis.   

On the plus side, there were scenes outside of the prologue that I did love from Travis’s POV…like the first time they went out together when she was trying to be unimpressive with her attire.  Or her surprise birthday party and the aftermath.  Or just simple things like when they studied together:
                “It was kind of cool how she watched me while I talked.  Almost like she as both hanging on to every word, and amazed that I knew how to read.”            

But I don’t want to give away too many quotes…
 
I’m slightly torn on the epilogue.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to see into their future, that was the one thing I didn’t like about BD is where it ended – I wanted more.  But for me, the way it went down in this epilogue was kind of weird.  I like the direction Travis is in, I just wish we had been a part of more of it, if that makes sense without giving anything away.  The storyline in the book and the storyline in the epilogue definitely could lead to a story for Trent and a story for Thomas, but I guess I felt like 11 years was a big jump and there were things in that 11 years that I wanted to be a part of and feel left out of.   Those were the things I wanted to see a little more into I guess.   

I don’t know, this whole thing makes me feel so conflicted.  I always give Travis 5 stars because he’s Travis Maddox…he is a good part of the reason I LOVED Beautiful Disaster.  (Quoted from my review of BD “Oh Beautiful Disaster, how I love thee...let me count the ways...Travis, Travis, and more Travis!!!”), but if I’m being honest with myself, for me Walking Disaster is not a 5 star story.  (Is it possible to feel physical pain from typing a sentence?) My honest self would say it’s 3 ½ stars – my love for Travis and Jamie’s writing ability want to give it at least 4 – so take that for what it’s worth. 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment