“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Bad Rep - A. Meredith Walters


"Who gives a damn about their reputation? Oh, that would be me! Especially since mine had gone straight to hell in the span of thirty minutes."

Maysie Ardin is soaking up the summer before her junior year of college, shopping, hanging by the pool and shopping some more. But when her black belt in spending lands her in trouble with her parents, she is forced to take a second job at a local bar to dig herself out of a deep financial pit.

She thought she’d be miserable. But then Maysie didn’t count on Jordan Levitt, the hot, pierced and tattooed, drum playing bartender who also happens to be very interested in her. And the feelings are totally mutual.

It had the makings of the perfect romantic set up. Boy meets girl. Boy likes girl. Boy has girlfriend? Okay, maybe not.

But attraction is a hard thing to ignore and soon Jordan and Maysie find themselves in the middle of a gossip induced firestorm. Maysie has to learn whether she can set aside her fear of public disapproval in order to be with the one she wants. Or will she let the opinions of others dictate her life and her heart?


Oh this book... Okay, I know I'm the first one to say these stories are fiction and we need to go along to get along with the 21 year old virgins that fall into having sex with the multi-billionaire, sexy bad boy turned Prince Charming men.  We have to believe in love at first sight and the paranormal angel who falls in love with the human...and I'm totally for all of that.  I can be the first one to fall head over heels for those situations.  

Maybe I should start with the positives, I liked Jordan.  I liked that he was smart, seemed to be hard working and was a rock star drummer.  I liked that he felt like he could be a more honest version of himself with Maysie (although I still don't understand why he just didn't break up with Olivia when she got back from summer break if he thought he was having feelings for someone else). I liked that he didn't fit the stereotypical part for a drummer or a fraternity boy, and I loved when he stood up to Maysie's parents.

I loved Gracie and Riley, they would definitely make my best of the best friends list because they were loyal, funny in their own ways and brought out different sides of Maysie that let her be herself. They supported her even when I got tired of her life falling apart or her running away.  

Unfortunately, this book took a topic probably far too personal for me and for that reason I just couldn't get past some of the issues I saw.  Yes, I believe you can go to a small college (though 700 students small would have to be a TINY college) and have your reputation shredded by the entire student body since it would practically be like being in high school.  Or I believe you can go to a bigger school that can feel small when you join Greek life because it really is it's own community, and have your reputation shredded in the Greek system.  But I believe you have to pick one or the other.  If the story is a small college, then there is no way that at a school this small (that supported a Greek system) a member wouldn't have known every person in their chapter and probably in the Greek system as a whole because each chapter wouldn't be that big.  And because you would know all of your sisters, you would most likely know all of their significant others as well.  You would certainly know the President and her boyfriend, especially if they were a beautiful, perfect couple.  So I'm just not buying that Maysie and Jordan didn't know each other.  Maybe, if she was just rushing and wasn't already in the sorority, but no way did she spend a semester or a year in this chapter and not know the president and her boyfriend.  She would have seen them at mixers and formals and just hanging out on campus.  As a pledge, she would have made it her business to get to know everything about the President, especially in a sorority that hazes (I AM NOT EVEN GOING TO GO THERE WITH THIS ONE).  At a bigger school where you could have over a hundred girls in your chapter at a time and forty to fifty girls in your pledge class, yes...but when there are only 700 people in the school total...there is just no way.  I think I just have way to much intimate knowledge of the inner-workings of the Greek system for this book to have worked out in my head.

And yes, girls (not just sorority girls, but girls in general) can be bitches.  They can be backstabbing, jealous and evil.  And they can get even more vicious when it comes to boys.  I hate to admit I've probably been on all sides of these kinds of wars.  And I can live with the fact that the author made most of the girls look shallow and ridiculous because in most people's eyes that is what sorority girls are (from the outside looking in you can never understand it from the inside looking out you can never explain it), but I do think that some of it was a bit over the top even if this is your opinion.

As for me, I think I'll stick to the angels and egomaniac billionaires because I don't have real life experience at having those stories not make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment