“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Edge of Never - J.A. Redmerski

Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett had always been one to think out-of-the-box, who knew she wanted something more in life than following the same repetitive patterns and growing old with the same repetitive life story. And she thought that her life was going in the right direction until everything fell apart.

Determined not to dwell on the negative and push forward, Camryn is set to move in with her best friend and plans to start a new job. But after an unexpected night at the hottest club in downtown Raleigh, North Carolina, she makes the ultimate decision to leave the only life she's ever known, far behind.

With a purse, a cell phone and a small bag with a few necessities, Camryn, with absolutely no direction or purpose boards a Greyhound bus alone and sets out to find herself. What she finds is a guy named Andrew Parrish, someone not so very different from her and who harbors his own dark secrets. But Camryn swore never to let down her walls again. And she vowed never to fall in love.
But with Andrew, Camryn finds herself doing a lot of things she never thought she'd do. He shows her what it's really like to live out-of-the-box and to give in to her deepest, darkest desires. On their sporadic road-trip he becomes the center of her exciting and daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But will Andrew's dark secret push them inseparably together, or tear them completely apart?

I feel messed up... I feel drained... I feel... well that's the point right? Just that I feel.  This book made me feel.

I have to be honest, at first I wasn't sure I got it.  Everyone was raving about this book and I'd been putting it off because Angie (of Angie's Dreamy Reads) had told me it wasn't a light and breezy book and I wanted to be prepared for that.  I could never have prepared myself...

I was 18% into the book and someone asked me how it was going, I was afraid to admit - I'm not sure why everyone is loving on this book.  Don't get me wrong, it was well written and I really liked Camryn, but I wasn't in love with her just yet.  She's been through a lot in her life but I think because we didn't go through it with her, I wasn't overly emotional about it.  I wasn't as invested as when I've gone through those things with characters in other books.  The thing I really admired was that she wanted to let go and be who she wanted to be no matter what anyone else thought about her.  She took off into the unknown because it was what she wanted to do, "I guess when you just don't care it kind of makes fear your bitch."

And then I met Andrew Parrish...I think I fell instantly in love and I just didn't realize it until a little while later in the book.  Andrew is everything.  He's strong and passionate, he's possessive and persuasive and he is his own person.  He got on that bus to do one thing, and instead found that fate had left him with another plan.  "I was taking the long road and Camryn was taking the road to nowhere and it just so happens that they led to the same place." 

Even still I was thinking this is a good story, probably 4 - 4.5 stars for me, until I got to last few chapters and the story took a turn I never saw coming.  I had tears dripping down my face before I even realized it and the next thing I knew I ugly crying and yelling at my Kindle.  THIS is why Angie wanted to prepare me for this story! 

At the end, the quote from Remember the Titans rang in my head and I wanted to shout it at J.A. Redmerski, "does the term cruel and unusual punishment mean anything to you?"  And then the masochist in me felt like I had to re-read the last two chapters just to make sure I read it correctly.  

It's amazing how when a story comes together it can completely change the way you see the rest of the story...and I give in - FIVE FREAKIN' STARS!!!! YOU ALL WERE RIGHT!!!  

Okay, I am going to go try not to read that letter again... no promises! 



No comments:

Post a Comment