“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Flat Out Love - Jessica Park


He was tall, at least six feet, with dirty blond hair that hung over his eyes. His T-shirt read Nietzsche Is My Homeboy.

So, that was Matt.  Who Julie Seagle likes. A lot.  But there is also Finn.  Who she flat out loves.

Complicated? Awkward?  Completely.

But really, how was this freshly-minted Boston transplant and newbie college freshman supposed to know that she would end up living with the family of an old friend of her mother's? This was all supposed to be temporary.  Julie wasn't supposed to be important to the Watkins family, or to fall in love with one of the brothers.  Especially the one she's never quite met. But what does that really matter?  Finn gets her, like no one ever has before. They haveconnection.
But here's the thing about love, in all its twisty, bumpy permutations—it always throws you a few curves.  And no one ever escapes unscathed.

Do you know that feeling when you read a book or see a movie and you KNOW what is going on, right from the very beginning, you know what the mystery or secret is? You torture yourself the whole time because you don't want to believe what you know is true, but you KNOW you are right.  Your head fights with your heart but then all the little clues point to your head winning out...that's what reading this book was like for me.  I knew right away what was going on and it made me feel split down the middle.  Half of me was okay with it and half of me was heartbroken and the longer it went on, the more at war with myself I felt.

I think because I knew the whole time, it held me back from really falling head over heels for this book.  That's not to say that I didn't love it, because there were pieces that I absolutely loved.

I loved the facebook statuses, and the chatting.  I loved the relationship dynamics.  And in the end, I was sad to be done with the story, I could have continued reading about their lives now.

I think if I had been surprised by the twist in this story, there would have been no holding back for me and it would have been flat out love.  But, given that I did hold back some, and still loved the book, I would think that speaks a lot to the talent of Jessica Park.



No comments:

Post a Comment