“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Friday, January 25, 2013

Ruining Me - Nicole Reed


Eighteen year old Jay Stevenson is living a horrible nightmare.

Two years ago, she had the world in the palm of her hand, but in one moment, it was ruined. Secrets, lies, and the worst imaginable betrayal haunt her new reality. Burying her problems under a cold façade seems to be the only way to cope until it all catches up with her. Soon, she loses control of the lonely world she built around her, and the past, present, and future collide.

Three guys are there when it all comes crashing down: JT, the perfect boyfriend she never wanted to give up; Rhye, the local bad boy “rock star” who made her forget the past; and Kane, the funny and sweet tattooed bartender who wants her future.

Secrets must be kept. Choices must be made. Is it possible to move forward while still chained to the wicked vices of the past?

At first this book reminded me of a Jillian Dodd novel, too many hot guys only one novel!!

I fell first for Kane pretty quickly and pretty hard.  There was just something about him, he was older, sexy, strong…and while it all happened so fast, I couldn’t help but want her to choose Kane.  And then there was JT…and he won my heart too.  He was the all-American boyfriend that every girl dreams of having in high school (and college and so on).  He loved her completely and never truly gave up on her even though she pushed him away.  The longer the story went on, the more of my heart he won over.  And then Rhye would throw himself into the mix, and while I never really saw him with Jay, there are a lot of girls who cannot turn down a bad boy rock star with a sweet side, so I could totally see why she may fall for him too.  Personally, I went back and forth between Kane and JT pretty much the whole book.

I knew right away what and who had caused her nightmares.  I figured the what was easy, but wasn’t sure if the who was supposed to be as easy to figure out.  Because of it though, I also understood a little bit why she kept that information to herself.  And the more I learned, the more I understood why she pushed everyone away.  I can’t even imagine what it would be like to live in that world inside your head.  I can see how it would be a living nightmare. 

But then Kane brings Jay back to the surface, back to the living and in doing so re-introduces her to the life that has been going on while she’s been in the dark.  Creating that new spark in Jay, also created an opening to bring JT back into her life.  I know people say they would love to have those kinds of problems, but even in the book world I was having trouble choosing so I couldn’t imagine that having to be someone’s real choice.  Someone’s heart will get broken.  Will it be the guy who owned your past? The guy who wants your future? Or both of them, and you run away with the bad boy? UGH!!!

And just when I thought I had made a choice and was happy with it, along comes the twist and GOOD LORD, THIS I did not see coming.  I wanted to crawl into Nicole Reed’s head and find out what she was thinking…how this came about and what the hell is going to happen next!

I’m mostly thankful I waited a bit to read this so I don’t have to wait too long for the next book to come out.    

No comments:

Post a Comment