“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Stalk me. (The Keatyn Chronicles) - Jillian Dodd


Keatyn has everything she ever dreamed. Her life is following the script she wrote for the perfect high school experience. She's popular, goes to the best parties, dates the hottest guy, and sits at the most-coveted lunch table.

She's just not sure she wants it anymore.

Because, really, things aren't all that perfect.
Her best friend is threatening to tell everyone her perfect relationship is a scam.
Her perfect boyfriend gets drunk at every party they go to.
It's exhausting always trying to look and act perfect.
And, deep down, she isn't sure if she has any true friends.

To add to the drama, her movie star mom has a creepy stalker.
A hot, older man flirts with her and tells her they should make a movie together.
And she's crushing on an adorable surfer. Dating him would mean committing social suicide.

So she writes a new script. One where all the pieces of her life will come together in perfect harmony.
But little does she know, there's someone who will do anything to make sure that doesn't happen.

There are a few signs of a good book to me.  1. That I feel some emotion, good, bad or ugly I want to feel something for the main character and in a great book, I want to feel emotions about more than just the main character.  2. I don’t want to put it down, and when I have to, it’s all I think about.  3. When I get to the end, I’m either disappointed that it’s over, or cannot believe it just ended and wait, where is the rest and OMG I have to wait how long for the sequel?!?!

This book fit all those for me.  I liked Keayton, but I would have also liked to shake her around a little, maybe slap her once or twice.  She reminded me a little of Serena on Gossip Girl (the earlier years), there is a part of her that is such a nice girl and could be so awesome, but then she’s also got a mean girl side and she can never make up her mind.  She drove me a little crazy and made me happy that high school is long since over for me, but that I can relive someone else’s drama on paper (or on Kindle for me). 

I loved her family.  I think it’s fitting that this Hollywood type family is a bit of a pieces put together family.  Her actress mom and her not exactly actor step-dad and her 4 half-sisters that you can tell she absolutely loves even when they drive her crazy (their descriptions had me laughing out loud) were loving and supportive but gave her a lot of freedom and opportunities most people (let alone kids) only get to dream about.  A summer in Europe doing whatever I wanted, sign me up. 

Okay, I’m also going to admit from like the very first time they introduced him…I loved Cush! I still love Cush…he shook me up a bit for a little while but I still love him, he is definitely my favorite of all her boys and there were a few to choose from.  He was in your face flirty, honest, kind of a player and I knew he had a thing for her from the first moment… (sighing…Cush) Let’s just say lickable abs and leave it at that!

And her girlfriends, I disliked (though I’m sure you are supposed to dislike them), whether you want to compare them to Regina from Mean Girls, Blaire from Gossip Girl (early years) or the mean girl you know you went to high school with…she’s still there in this book and she is as bad as you remembered!

This book was definitely a got to the end and where is the rest.  I was so not ready for this book to be over.  The last couple chapters (and the brief glimpse into the next book) were just not enough and I need more.  I need to know what is going to happen…so hopefully Jillian will not keep us waiting too long! I think I picked the right one to start with for my first Jillian Dodd book!

No comments:

Post a Comment