“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ― William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Providence Series - Jamie McGuire

After reading two other books, and missing Travis & Abby still - I decided to see what else Jamie McGuire had to offer a reader.  I learned that The Providence Series took a turn in the supernatural world and introduced us to another side of it by bringing a religious aspect to the table.  Mostly I loved this series.  I will say I do play favorites with series and I think with this one in particular the first book is probably my favorite.  I would say I loved the first two and liked the last one just because I wasn't in love with the way it all ended.  Below are the reviews I posted to Amazon and a little about the first book:


In the old world shadows of Providence, Rhode Island, Nina Grey finds herself the center of a war between Hell and Earth.

Struggling with her father’s recent death, Nina meets Jared Ryel by chance…or so she believes. Although his stunning good looks and mysterious talents are a welcome distraction, it soon becomes clear that Jared knows more about Nina than even her friends at Brown University. When questions outnumber answers, Jared risks everything to keep the woman he was born to save—by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.

When her father’s former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father is not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. Searching for the truth behind her father’s death, Nina stumbles upon something she never expected—something Hell wants—and only she holds the key.


Providence
I read this book after reading Beautiful Disaster (which by the way I loved) hoping to find the spark I felt for Travis and Pigeon/Abby. Like Beautiful Disaster I enjoyed more than just the main two characters and truly couldn't put the book down reading about their stories. I had no idea when I started this that it was a three part series, so I found myself hoping for more when it ended and was pleasantly surprised when I got to the end that there was a sequel (with Beautiful Disaster I just re-read the book twice).

I enjoyed the setting of the book and found that I could really picture the town while I've never actually been that far north. I really liked Nina and was pleased that her character wasn't as annoying as some female characters in these types of stories (ie Bella in Twilight). I felt from the first pages that I could understand her pain of losing her father and wanted for her to find some relief to the sadness in her life - enter Jared. I honestly can say I didn't fall for him as quickly as other main male characters (ie Travis in Beautiful Disaster or Christian in the Fifty Shades trilogy), but I did eventually fall for him as well. Her friends were great and I loved Ryan and Beth and Claire almost as much as Nina and Jared (much like I felt about America and Shepley), this author does a great job of incorporating the supporting cast and making you love them too.

This was my favorite of the three by far, and although I loved it and couldn't put it down I would say that I didn't love it as much as Beautiful Disaster so I can only give it 4 stars.

I did find some grammatical errors and missing/wrong words while reading it, which in this day and age I find a bit annoying.

I would recommend the book, however I would note, I was not as pleased with book three as book one.

Requiem
As I ended the first book of this series, I was delighted to find out there was a sequel. I have recently read the Fifty Shades Trilogy and Beautiful Disaster and at the end of both I felt a longing for wanting more and this sequel finally gave me that. Once I found out it was a trilogy also I downloaded this book and Eden right away.
I still felt attached to the characters and actually grew to love Bex and Lillian (still not so much Cynthia, but I guess you're not supposed to love her). I felt we learned more about some of the supporting characters and also fell more in love with Jared and Nina.
I read this one as feverishly as I read the first and felt like she picked up the story line without giving us too much of the "love triangle" aspect that many stories rely on. I liked how she kept us wanting to know more of the secrets of this world she created.

Again (like my first review) I felt that finding errors in all three books was annoying. But other than that I was happy to keep reading and still wanting more.

Eden
I finished the second book and went straight into the third book (three books, in three days!)

I was half excited and half sad that this series was abruptly coming to an end but I couldn't slow myself down, I had to know what was going to become of Jared & Nina, Claire & Ryan, Beth & Chad, Bex, and all the other characters in this book. I actually think toward the end Bex wound up being one of my favorite characters.

I liked this book, most of it I would have given 4 stars for just like the others. Yes, I found grammatical/proofreading type errors, which I again found seriously annoying - but by the time I got to this book, I had learned to let it go.

The only thing I didn't like about this book, and why I gave it one less star is that I felt we had a lot of story and build up over the first two books and then most of the third and then I felt that the ending was rushed. It was this whole story of good vs. evil and then it was just over. I'm not sure if everyone felt this way or if it's just me, nor am I exactly sure how it could have been made better but it left me feeling annoyed when it was over, because I just felt incomplete. Not in the way like with Beautiful Disaster, I just wanted more Travis and Pigeon/Abby, but sort of like I felt let down that it was just kind of over. Here's evil, because He said so, the end.

Obviously, you have to read it if you are reading the first two, but I personally found just the last few chapters a little rushed and I was for the first time annoyed with Nina.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about all three books as you did. I felt that something was missing from the end of 'Eden' and would have liked there to have been more of something, but I'm not exactly sure what that something is/was.
    I do love Jared's love of sweet potato fries as I love them as well. But, I also could not put this series down once I had started. I'm sad that it's over, but I'm not looking to re-reading them as I did (and will again) '50 Shades'. All and all, I did like this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I read a couple books over the weekend that might be worth the read as well, although one of them is a series and the first book just came out so I have no idea how long we'll have to wait for the second book.

      Delete